Rebecca Gibb MW
I was born and raised in north-east England but the local steelworks and coal mining industry was on its knees so wine journalism seemed like a better way of earning a living.
After winning the UK's Young Wine Writer of the Year in 2006, I joined UK wine trade magazine, Harpers, going on to become its features editor. As a freelancer, I contributed to prestigious titles including Decanter, Wine Business International, Imbibe, Food & Travel and Sommelier Journal, and was named the Louis Roederer International Wine Writer Awards' inaugural Emerging Writer of the Year.
From 2012 until 2015, I was the editor of Wine-Searcher. Within 18 months of launching the editorial side of Wine-Searcher, it was shortlisted for Wine Website of the Year in the 2013 Louis Roederer Awards.
Clearly it wasn't only a Champagne house that thought my work was better than the average bear's, as I was recruited to join LE PAN, a luxury wine magazine, that launched in June 2015. I was in charge of commissioning and editing wine-related features for both the magazine and the website, and also managed to find the time to do a bit of writing!
I'm also one of only 353 Masters of Wine in the world. I graduated top of my class in 2015 and was also named the Bollinger Medal winner for outstanding tasting ability.
When not working or studying, I'm a mum, which takes up most of my spare time. In my pre-child life, I was a keen open water swimmer, mountain biker and runner and hope to squeeze some of those pastimes into my life in the not too-distant future.
Random facts about Rebecca
- Great Britain under 19 100-metre hurdles national champion;
- Grade 8 cellist. I love the Elgar Cello Concerto (but not got a hope in hell of being able to play it well) and powerhouse composers: Shostakovich, Mahler, Sibelius etc. Mozart is not my thing;
- Best bottle: 1986 Chateau Palmer in magnum, imbibed in 2009 for my mum's 60th birthday (now you know how old she is, which she won't thank me for);
- Guilty pleasure song: Walking in Memphis by Marc Cohn;
- Favorite box sets: The Wire, The Bridge, Borgen...;
- My read again and again books: Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss, Animal Farm by George Orwell, and anything by Roald Dahl or Bill Bryson;
- Favourite wine regions for both beauty and tasty wines: Douro Valley, Priorat, Central Otago;
- Closet darts fan;
- Penguin lover (the birds not the chocolate biscuits - although they're pretty delicious, come to think of it)